Monday, November 14, 2011

Second PTP - Part B

I stated that I was going to learn LoggerPro, but I ran out of time and needed another 5 points, so I learned Stellarium instead.

I learned that Stellarium is a very easy download; it's free, downloads easily, and doesn't take up too much space on your computer.
It is also simple to use. For most people who are natural explorers and are used to exploring programs, this is very easy to figure out.

If I am teaching an astronomy class in a city that has too much light pollution, in a school where funding for field trips to near by wilderness for star gazing is limited, or on a cloudy day, Stellarium could come to the rescue!

Several activities include:
Constellation quiz: Stellarium can help students memorize constellations found in the area.
Introduction to star gazing and continued instruction on star gazing.
Most of these teaching activities would take place if I were to teach an astronomy class or do extensions of my normal physics class.

Below I've posted a screencast of a tour of Stellarium.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment